A fiery, inclusive guide for activists and witches alike, Revolutionary Witchcraft is an empowered introduction to the history and practice of politically-motivated magic.
the politically charged origins of the word "witch" to the present-day
magical resistance, this bold handbook explores the role of witchcraft
in our modern world. Author, activist, and practicing witch Sarah Lyons
takes readers on a journey through a leftist history of magic -- from
the witch hunts of early modern England, through the Salem Witch Trials,
and up to our present moment. Pairing mystical acts, including sigil
magic and soul flight, with core organizing tactics, like power mapping
and protests, Revolutionary Witchcraft offers a blueprint for building a politically grounded magical praxis.
social justice to environmental activism, this radical reimagining of
political activism addresses today's most pressing problems with
empowering, inclusive rituals and magical actions. Each chapter
introduces a key concept, like dreaming big, experiencing magical
initiation, and joining the revolution, supported by a galvanizing
historical case study on the power of mystical action. Full of
actionable ideas for magical organizing, and an appendix packed with
customizable spells, Revolutionary Witchcraft is the perfect companion for the magical uprising.
- Part of a successful magical publishing program. Revolutionary Witchcraft joins a robust mystical publishing program at Running Press, which includes popular books like Practical Magic (net 36K since 9/17), Everyday Tarot, The Practical Witch's Spellbook, and upcoming titles Magical Places, The Amenti Oracle,and Wellness Witch.
- A synthesis of two hot topics -- the occult and progressive politics! From media outlets likethe New York Times and New York magazine
to popular retailers and social media platforms, the convergence of
witchcraft and leftist, feminist politics is everywhere. This book
builds on that trend, offering witchy history and activities with an
activist, progressive point of view.
- Timed to coincide with 2020 election enthusiasm. Publishing in late Fall 2019, Revolutionary Witchcraft will
coincide with the beginning of the presidential primary season for
Democrats. This book will hold particular appeal for the young people
and progressives, especially democratic socialists, poised to play a
major part in that election.
- An author with strong connections in witchy and activist circles. With
witchy connections to Vice, Broadly, and Buzzfeed, as well as a new
podcast and tight connections to Brooklyn's occult hub Catland Books,
the author is thoroughly ensconced in the mystical world. She's also a
heavily-involved member of the New York chapter of the Democratic
Socialists of America, holding a leadership position in the same
influential organization that helped bring Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to
her surprise primary victory.
- An edgy, enticing package perfect for millennial and Gen Z women. A
flexi binding and graphic, two-color illustrations are paired with a
clear organization -- including historical examples and magical
practices to enact yourself -- for a cool handbook perfect for gifting
or self purchase.